Go nuts with these 11 interesting facts you probably didn’t know about Nuts
1. Peanuts aren’t actually nuts – they’re legumes (a seed, pod, or other edible part of a leguminous plant, used as food) 2. Ancient Greeks believed hazelnuts could treat coughing and baldness. 3.Almonds have a long storage life and can be refrigerated for up to 2 years. The longer shelf life is due to the fact that they are rich in Vitamin E
4. Cashews are actually fruit.
5. Chestnuts contain vitamin C (around 20%).
6. Macadamia nuts are poisonous for dogs.
7. Pistachios are actually seeds of a grape-like fruit
8. Pistachio is known as the “smiling nut” in Iran and the “happy nut” in China.
9. The shell of the cashew is toxic and can’t be eaten. Cashews are in the same plant family as poison ivy and poison sumac and their itchy oil is primarily contained in their shell.
10. Walnuts are the oldest known tree food — they date all the way back to 10,000 BC.
11. If you love almonds as much as we do, thank bumblebees! Almonds can’t grow on their own. They need bees to help them pollinate.
15 views0 comments